Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
WELCA (Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) is the women’s ministry organization of the ELCA. All women are invited to participate in WELCA.
The group’s purpose, as stated in the WELCA Mission Statement, is “Mobilizing women to act boldly on their faith in Jesus Christ.”
St. Mark’s WELCA serves our congregation and community in a variety of ways:
- St. Mark’s Funeral Meal Ministry
- Annual St. Mark’s Blood Drive: organize, assist and provide canteen for blood drive held at Five Points in Washington.
- Support the ministry of Lutheran Social Services of Illinois
- An ongoing food collection for Washington Helps It’s People (WHIP)
- Change for Charity: A monthly congregational collection of change for the benefit of regional non-profits
- Regular service projects for St. Mark’s and the community at large
- Small group Bible studies