St. Mark’s Parish Nurse Program
About St. Mark’s Parish Nurses
The Parish Nurse program at St. Mark’s contributes to the worship experience at St. Mark’s Church in Washington, Illinois. Our staff nurses, Judy Custer, R.N. and Julie Stewart-Hays, R.N., received certification through dedicated parish nurse training programs, enabling them to serve both God and the congregation in a unique way.
As part of the pastoral team, Judy and Julie provide faith-based healthcare services and education to church and community members. During their scheduled office hours visitors may drop in, make appointments or receive assistance by phone. Our parish nurses can answer questions about health issues and medication, in addition to providing blood sugar and blood pressure screenings.
Additional parish nurse services include:
- Accompanying patients to doctor visits
- Home, hospital and nursing home visits
- Monthly health screenings
- Healthcare consultations
- Medication authorization through insurance companies
- Communicating with pharmacies
- Translating doctor-provided information into layperson’s terms
- Assisting members whose families live outside the area
- Communicating with members’ non-local relatives
As healthcare advocates and educators, Judy and Julie promote healthy bodies, minds and spirits. As part of this holistic approach, they often work with St. Mark’s volunteers to counsel, comfort and support members.
The following programs provide important benefits to individuals experiencing a variety of needs:
- “Welcome Wee Ones:” Volunteers supply a home-cooked meal, handmade baby quilt and bag filled with new-mom resources
- “Fill the Freezer:” Volunteers make and deliver homemade meals to those in need
- Fall flu clinic: Flu shots plus body-mind-spirit care
- Seven-week Caregiver series: A group based providing information and support for those acting as caregivers for loved ones.
- Grief Share programs including an annual 13-week Grief Share series and the Surviving the Holidays event
- Vacation Bible School first-aid station and health education event for kids and parents
- Children’s annual healthcare event
- Monthly themed healthcare events
- Diabetes education and support group
Judy Custer, R.N.
Julie Stewart-Hays, R.N.
Mondays from 9:30 to 10:30 am OR by appointment
Room 108-UL (administrative area)
Count on the caring, compassionate parish nurses at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church for competent treatment of the mind, body and soul. All contacts are free and confidential.